A first birthday party is a special celebration for family and friends to mark your child turning ONE. It is a great time to take photos for the little one when he/she is older..
A First Birthday Party is also one of the most challenging parties to plan:
- Its the ‘1st’ party that mum and dad will plan
- they haven’t a clue what they are doing
- what why when and how, so many questions
Choose a time of day when your child is usually at his best so that he does not become over awed by the party.
Probably the best location is your home or a friend or relatives home..
If you would like a theme it can be based around the number 0NE or characters such as
- Winnie the Pooh,
- Teletubbies or
- a favourite teddy bear party.
- Cut a large number one from bright coloured card. Write your child’s name on the front of the nmber and the party details ( time, location etc ) on the back of the number
- Make reprints of a recent photo and tape or glue to a slightly larger piece of paper. Write ” Look who’s turning 1 ” above or below the photo and write the party details on the back.
- Tape a birthday candle to your bought invitations.
Decorations can be simple
- Brighly coloured streamers around the room look great.
- Gather together your favourite photos and put them on display
- Have a 1st Birthday banner or poster for guests to sign and add their best wishes. This is a lovely keepsake.
- Decorate your party table in bright colours.
- For very little children have a collection of soft toys, rattles. balls and bigger toys with wheels for the toddlers available.
- Music is also a good idea for little children to dance to.
- Decorate large cardboard boxes and allow children to climb in and through the boxes.
- Story time- Read or tell a favourite story.
- Show a home video of your childs first year or a popular video for little children.
To cater for the little children provide:
- mini sandwiches,
- picture biscuits,
- ice cream and
- plenty of milk or fruit juice.
A simple birthday cake with a large number one on it is a good idea…..
Check our food ideas
For the adults some platters are a good idea-
- a platter of sandwiches,
- a platter of hot finger food,
- a platter of savoury biscuits and
- a platter os sweet food- cakes etc.
- And your choice of drinks…
If you would like to send the visitors home with some treats try the following:
- picture books,
- squeaky toys,
- party hats or
- bubble wands.
- Keep the party plan very simple mainly with Free Play.
- In the party room, make sure anything valuable is placed out of reach!!!
- Do not serve hard lollies, nuts or anything a child could choke on.
- Have a friend on hand to help!!!!